Skip to content

SQL Complete

dbForge SQL Complete is an intellisense add-in for SQL Server Management Studio and Visual Studio with advanced autocompletion and formatting features of T-SQL code.

To consider your idea as soon as possible, follow the guidelines:
  • Describe the goal you want to achieve and what result you want to get
  • If you have a solution, add it to the description
  • Give examples that we can use to implement your ideas
  • Add one suggestion per post. If you have several ideas, share them in separate posts
  • Add comments to the suggestion

http://www.devart.com/dbforge/sql/sqlcomplete/

SQL Complete

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

157 results found

1. In SQL Complete, I would love an option that lets you Format Selection but only changes the casing to what you have specified in your active profile. It would leave all other formatting as is.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Features  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. I very often use T-SQL to create a series of T-SQL commands to be run.
    I need to ctrl-C+open new window+ctrl-V+F5 to accomplish that, and it works.
    However, a nice feature would be to just be able to select the commands in the query result window, and choose "execution" from the shortcut menu, and have SQL Complete do all the additional work automagically.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. The standard filtering in Management Studio Object Explorer is rudimentary at best. I lack the ability to select multiple values, and use drop downs to do so. Or even better, use complex queries (with and/or/not), and maybe even save and reuse these for daily administration (much like snippets).

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. I previously used SSMSBoost. There was a feature, Query Post-Execution Handlers, that included Results per Email as an option. This feature leveraged PowerShell as the engine, perhaps because it was a Windows installation, and a "script generator" dialog box that converted selected options and variables into a PowerShell script and email message. I would have added a screen capture of this interface, but this post won't accept attachments. The feature also accepted a threshold so it would only apply to queries that exceed a specified number of seconds. It was nice to be able to set this up for long…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. I would like the ability to change the connection on multiple tabs in a single action. Currently, if I am testing in one environment with multiple tabs open, I need to change each connection individually. I would like a way to specify a new connection for multiple tabs.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. I would like the options to enable such a setting that when procedures, functions, etc. are opened for editing, all regions would automatically collapse. There could also be a keyboard shortcut that collapses and expands all regions

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Within SSMS, allow for the saving of filters.

Justification:
    Particularly within large databases, often there is a reoccurring need to work with just a subset of tables. Sometimes, within different contexts, the particular subset changes. Being able to easily apply commonly used filters can allow increased productivity by eliminating frictional work (e.g. scrolling and hunting). Additionally, when filters across object types can be applied, there can be a lot of power. For example, being able to filter a particular set of SQL Agent Jobs, associated tables, and procedures related to those jobs, allows a troubleshooting developer to quickly set into…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. We have a policy of always putting square brackets around identifiers in SQL Scripts. When using SQL Complete we have the option turned on to always use square brackets and this works fine when scripting brackets are inserted for us just fine. However when we open a legacy script and format the document, missing square brackets are not inserted so we have to manually go through the script to add them.

If Always On is selected for square brackets then I press Ctrl+K Ctrl+D to format the document I would like to have missing square brackets inserted, that is all…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. While camel casing matching is extremely helpful, it breaks when adding middle characters to it, perhaps consider adding to it the same way Visual Studio does it, it’ll be much more helpful.

For example, consider I have a column "FinalSellingFee" and a column "FreeShippingFunction", when I enter "fsf", both appear, now I only want the second, in Visual Studio I'll simply enter "fsfu" (adding a "u" at the end), or "fshf" (adding an "h" after the "s"), and it'll automatically get that I want the second. It makes it so much easier and quicker.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. When hovering over a table name in the editor, show the Est. row count at the "top" of the tooltip rather than at the bottom, currently the tip runs off screen on tables with many columns, causing it to be invisible

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. The execution history is a great feature. It can be made more using if SQL Complete was able to persist column changes (moves or exclusions). Currently, the end user is able to move the columns, for example, move the Server column to the left or right. The end user can also remove unwanted columns. However if you close SSMS and reopen, the columns are back to their original positions. This is not very user friendly as the purpose of a user changing the column layout is to have it displayed the way they want.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. When installing an upgrade, my additions to the snippets manager are maintained. However, I would like the option to keep all edits I've made to the default set of snippets as well.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We just checked and confirm that changes made in the snippets are preserved when upgrading dbForge.

13. I often use SQL to generate SQL commands based on information from sys tables. This enables me to keep things in sync.
    Currently I need to Ctrl-C my selection, open a new tab, Ctrl-V in it, and then hit F5.
    A context menu item, that does all this (except F5) would be a nice addition.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. It would be awesome, if you easily could select more than one suggestion in the "List Members" dropdown.

I often need to choose more than one field from a table - and if the table needed isn't the first one, it takes some extra typing to find it.

One option could be to leave the dropdown open when choosing an item. Another option (Stolen from LinqPad), is to press a dedictated key (½ or ` in LinqPad) which chooses it, but leaves the suggestion list open.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Provide for MULTIPLE TAB ROWS like TabsStudio has. This way there's no need for the file menu drop-down list, no need to manually pin tabs, the tabs keep stable order.

https://tabsstudio.com/

Thanks

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Like Microsoft's IntellySense does, when you open or write a script, case errors in variable names, table names, and field names are underlined in red (higlight) as a warning and can be corrected if desired.
    This funcionality is like a spell checker.
    You currently open a script and SQLComplete is not able to tell you what case errors there are.
    This is quite important in environments where this requirement is required to be met.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. When typing "JOIN [start of table name]" I would like the suggestions shown by SQL Complete to be based on the foreign keys and [start of table name] instead as now, when it highlights the first table based on [start of table name].

Example:
    in my database I have a UserAccount and a UserSecurityRole table that are joined by a foreign key so when I start typing
    SELECT * FROM UserAccount ua
    JOIN User

SQL Complete shows all tables starting with "User" but the one highlighted in the suggestions list i UserAccount instead of UserSecurityRole with a foreign key, so…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. When intensely typing a query and SQL complete has an error in the middle of typing, the error popup window steals focus and if a key is pressed as part of the sql query that accepts the restart ssms button, ssms restarts losing the current work.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Could you please specify what product version you are using and perform the following:
    1. Turn on tracing by selecting ‘SQL Complete → Trace → Start Tracing’ from the main menu.
    2. Reproduce the issue and send us the *.log file with the latest date from the folder:
    SystemDrive\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Roaming\Devart\dbForge SQL Complete\

A video or screenshots would be also of help.

19. By selecting a portion of the code in a stored procedure, giving the ability to create a new stored procedure or function from that code.

All variables present in the selected code are automatically passed as parameters. The selected code is then replace by a call to the function/procedure

This will help to divide the code in sub function and been auto documented.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. As a user it would be helpful to be able to customize how INDEX statements are formatted.

For example, it would be nice to be able to configure the indent for the second line where the "INCLUDE" statement is as shown below:

CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX [IXTableColumn] ON [dbo].[Table] ([Column1],[Column2], [Column3])
    INCLUDE ([Column4],[Column5],[Column6])
    GO

Currently, SQL Complete formats the above text pushing the second line all the way to the left as shown below:

CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX [IXTableColumn] ON [dbo].[Table] ([Column1],[Column2], [Column3])
    INCLUDE ([Column4],[Column5],[Column6])
    GO

I am unable to find a current setting to indent the second…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?