I suggest you...

Integration with Version Control System

Need integration with version control systems (Bazaar, SVN, GIT). Store and retrieve objects (SP, Func, etc.) and DB schema at all. Diff, history, etc.
Just like in Eclipse, but (file) == (SP, Func and other DB schema objects)

422 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    FoxFox shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have dbforge fusion and since TFS doesn't understand how to integrate with project files the source control has to be done manually in team explorer :(

• Rolf WyssRolf Wyss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

at the time I make the source control manualy in GIT, save the changed SP's on local drive and use sourcetree to commit. it would be greathe if this would be integrated in DbForgeStudio

• Dazz KnowlesDazz Knowles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@gr8kodr - It wouldn't be superfluous as managing separate .sql files for table definitions, stored procedures and functions is a tiresome exercise and prone to accidents as people forget to save their changes.

It would be way more professional and efficient if a user can just right click and commit a database after a days work.

Currently I have a separate C# app that I run each night to script out the individual objects and check them into the SVN repository. It would be great to have this an integral part of DbForge.

• gr8kodrgr8kodr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It may seem obvious, but ...
        Making the following assumptions:
        1. that your SQL Schemas and Data are part of a larger Project
        2. that said Project is appropriately managed and already using a VCS
        3. that your SQL scripts are being stored into a "sql" directory under your project root

Wouldn't additional VCS integration within dbForge be superfluous?

• digiflexdigiflex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This might be complex, but it beats our current system of exporting the schema into the code tree and versioning it from there. That means we often have no idea who made a change or why, but at least we have a record of when the change was made. It would be worth buying another license or two to get this feature so that we could "encourage" everyone who makes DB changes to use DBForge and track changes properly.

• WalterWalter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not too interested in source control integration, too many, too complicated.

Now, if PROJECT could be set up ad managed properly, than I can use my source control of choice as I see fit. That would be lovely!

• Dazz KnowlesDazz Knowles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As an interim measure could the backup functionality be extended to write each option into it's own file within a set folder hierarchy and without any timestamp metadata or anything?

If so we'd only need to run the backup into a directory within our source controlled working copies and commit from there. If the files only change when something is genuinely different about the functionality of the object, the source control system will only see actual code changes as amendments to be committed. Purging all SQL files (but not directories) within the target directory would eliminate the need for tracking deleted objects.

I have something similar setup for MS SQL and that works very well (and is scheduled to run automatically every night).

• Mark AuritMark Aurit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A great idea (especially git for our shop). Hughly need by the developer community. Ive only seen ugly kludges that take up time that should be spent doing real work.

• Georgy GarnovGeorgy Garnov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Top idea!! We need it a lot. SVN integration + version migration scripts with ability to apply new versions to multiply databases. +100500

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base