I suggest you...

Folder/group feature for Database Explorer?

Would it be possible to add a group/folder feature to the connection explorer, so connections can be organized?

119 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    KongenKongen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    DevartAdminDevart (Admin, Devart) responded  · 

Please note that you can assign one of the available document categories with colors to a connection as follows:

1. Right-click a connection in Database Explorer and select ‘Modify Connection…’ from the popup menu. The ‘Database Connection Properties’ dialog opens.
    2. Switch to the ‘Connection’ tab.
    3. In the ‘Document Category’ drop-down menu, select one of the available options or add a new one by clicking the three-dotted button.

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • EduardoEduardo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All the connections should be sorted by default. Additionally the folder/group feature can be added, but it is hard to use when it is not sorted.

• Philippe SOHMPhilippe SOHM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we already notice that we can set a document category but
        1) it is hard to see especially when we are color blind
        2) it isn't always relevant especially if you work as a freelance (it that case, you want to have 10 folders for all your customers and avoid the mix of all productions server of your customer)
        3) you can't group or sort, it isn't very useful

if we could create folder if would be a lot better
        if we could create a unlimited number of documents category, it would be a workaround but in that case, we should see folder or sort them

• GregAtParetoGregAtPareto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Categories as they stand now don't allow you to group or sort the connection definitions. I would love the ability to group the connections somehow (I would use a project or product name) to tame the connection list.

The coloring is great to let me know that I'm working on a production vs QA vs Development server.

• GregGreg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love to see this; our list of connections is getting long and we'd like to be able to group the common connections by project. Likely easiest by putting them in virtual folders.

Feedback and Knowledge Base